Wednesday, September 7, 2011

I am that Mom

As a young adult and seeing friends have children, I always told myself that I would never be "that mom".  You know the one that I am talking about.  She is the one who is worried about anything and everything that could happen to her child.  Well, I am that Mom!  These are just a few of the ridiculous, and some practical, things that I have done to protect my daughter.
  • When Reagan was a newborn I would not let her sleep in the crib because I thought that she might get her little arm caught in the rail so she slept in her bassinet until she learned to sit up.  
  • I would not allow bumpers in the crib because it increases the risk of SIDS (it is recommended that bumpers are not put in the crib for this reason, so this one was practical).  
  • The main toilet has to have a latch on it because the baby might crawl in and drown.  The door has to be securely shut EVERY TIME because she might still get in there and figure out that latch and drown.
  • Every door has to be checked several times to make sure that it is locked because I don't want the Reagan crawling out of her crib at night and then finding her way to the door and then getting trapped outside (she has never climbed out of her crib).  
  • Nothing except for a blanket can be in the crib because anything else could be used as a stool to climb out of the crib.
  • Every outlet has to have a plastic cover on it.
  • A carbon monoxide detector has to be in the babies room (practical because we had a carbon monoxide leak at our old house and almost died)
So, those are just a few.  I know that I go overboard sometimes, but I really do not think that most of those are out of control.  I get really frustrated when a family member told me "well, I never baby proofed with my daughter, I just told her no.  That's all you have to do, just tell her no."  Really?  Just tell my 18-month old little girl "no" and then trust her enough to leave the knives out, guns in full view, breakables on low shelves, cleaning cabinet unlocked, and doors wide open?  Maybe that is going a little too far, but come on.  You have to baby proof your home if you want to be able to sleep without worrying all night!  In my mind, the world is a scary place that I would love to protect my little girl from forever, but I know that is not possible.  Eventually she will go out into the world, and she will get hurt, even as a little girl.  My job is to control all of the variables that I can at this age.  I am not insane.  I do take her to the park and let her run around on equipment that may be aged for older kids (I am always right behind her), I take her to the zoo and let her pet the goats and chase the chickens, and I don't mind if she gets dirty.  I don't freak out when I catch her walking on the couch (even though I kindly tell her we don't walk on couches and then place her on the carpet).

My main point is that we have to protect our little ones.  At this age, they depend on us for everything.  I could not live with myself if something happened to my daughter because of my negligence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment